Sunday, June 30, 2013

I'm Not a Group Runner


Ok, I admit it this whole group running concept is still foreign to me.  I’ve tried it a few times.  Most notably a practice run a few weeks before the Mercedes Marathon.  I started out in the group then realized I could not keep up with their pace and then ended up in no man’s land between two other sets of running groups.  I usually get frustrated by then and start refocusing on the run.  This is the usual ending of my story when it comes to group runs. 

In theory I think they would be a lot of fun.   I know there is a commonality.  We are runners.   I think it would be fun comparing battle scars and race stores.    I just can’t seem to find the right group.  I am not exactly frustrated with this.  Running has become “me” time.  I have become selfish with this time and really don’t want to share it with someone else.  Having to worry if I am holding them up by the pace I am running or vice versa.  I also do not always have a set schedule when I run especially on the weekend.   During the week I definitely don’t want to commit to a run especially at 5AM in the morning.  I also am careful where I run.  I am not a big fan of running on busy streets and usually keep to parks (Veteran's Park)  or dedicated walking trails (Lakeshore Greenway).   This allows me to use my Ipod (I know, I know, many runners believe running with an Ipod is a cardinal sin) so I can listen to music or sometimes talk radio.

My compromise so far to the “group run” is the “group talk”.  I know several other runners and we always get together and talk about where we ran over the weekend.  What race we have coming up.  What injury we just incurred.    I especially enjoy talking with a group at the end of a run or race.  There is always good interaction and discussion.   This gives me the fix I need.  I have not given up hope that there will be a running group for me. But for now just getting together with people to talk about running gives me the motivation I need to continue my running routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment