Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Red Mountain Park


Have you been to Red Mountain Park?   Wow what an amazing place this is!  As a lifelong resident of Birmingham I have to say this is a great addition to the city.  I was one of the lucky people who got to be one of the first runners at the park during the Birmingham Track Club’s Resolution Run back in December 2011.  I have worked near Red Mountain Park for over twenty years and never knew this area existed.  My first run at the park was very disorienting.  I had no idea where I was going there were no markers and the trails were somewhat primitive.  I went with the 10 mile group and tried to hang on.  This was also one of my first experiences with trail running.  I knew this place was special when I came to the first clearing and saw what appeared to be the remnants of a significant structure (the background picture on this blog page).  The next leg of the run included running up a significant hill.  All I could see were the television towers ahead.   I never thought you could actually go up all the way to the top of where these massive structures are.  As you could imagine the views were amazing.   We then traversed through a more primitive trail.  Along the way you see remnants of buildings, various cables and rail lines.  We approached another clearing that is known as Grace’s Gap Overlook.  What an amazing perspective of the city.  On one side you see the downtown area and on the other side you see Shades Mountain.   Here is a picture of the downtown side.



Since my 2011 run, I have frequented the park sporadically.  This past weekend I went there for a 7.5 mile run.   I ran a similar path to what I have done before but mixed in one of the more complex trails.  I would not recommend one of these trails the first time out.  They are clearly marked as being a more challenging trail.  However, once you get your bearings in the park I would recommend taking this route.  It is hilly, rocky and there are plenty of roots to trip over but it’s a great run.   The transformation of the park from my first run in 2011 is amazing.  The trails are well marked.  There are maps along the way.   There is the zip line area.  There are various stops along the way with markers that give you some insight on everything that occurred in this area back when Birmingham was a steel town.   Yes there are mines throughout the entire park.  One area along the trail has a blocked off waist high fence.  I had never noticed this before and stopped my run to investigate.  This was one of the openings or vents to the mine.  As I leaned over the fence I felt a very cool breeze coming from the vent.  I thought how great is this?  An air conditioning pit stop on a warm summer day!

Here are two links to some of the background of this area and the location of the park.

 General Info:
 
History of Area:

http://www.redmountainpark.org/park-overview/history 

One last word of advice, parking is not the greatest.   A lot of people park on the side of the road.  This is a somewhat busy road so be careful as you enter or exit your car.  I usually park at a vacant office building about 100 feet from the entrance to the park.  It’s a little more of a hike to the entrance but it keeps your car off the road.

 

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment