Sunday, September 8, 2013

BTC Free Trail Run at Oak Mountain

This weekend I inadvertently when way out of my comfort zone by running the most challenging trail race I have ever run.  I am a member of the Birmingham Track Club and took them up on their offer to run a FREE trail race at Oak Mountain.  Yes, I said free.  I got a great technical t-shirt made by Merrell a chance to run a competitive race and post race food and refreshments!

There were three trail races to choose from.  There was a 4 mile, 8 mile and 14 mile course.  I chose the 8 mile option. I have run a few trail races before including a half marathon trail run.  I felt like the 8 mile race was doable.

It was a beautiful Saturday morning at Oak Mountain State Park.   I was not that familiar with the course.  I have run at Oak Mountain before but not the trails on this side of the park.  I heard rumors before the race that there were some hills in the course.  I  started to have flashbacks of when I ran the Peavine Fall Run and the Statue to Statue Race for the first time.  What have I gotten myself into?

The first mile started innocently enough.  The trail was narrow and there were a few twists and turns.  There were tree roots to avoid and narrow bridges to run over.  This was nothing new for me on a trail run.  It was right before mile two that made me realize I was going to be challenged.  At 1.7 miles I was  running at an elevation of 665 feet which was about 50 feet higher than where I started.  At this point I would begin a slow gradual climb up very rugged terrain to reach 1,280 feet.  I walked up this hill for way over a mile.  I thought at this point I would finish the race maybe around lunch time (it started at 8 AM).


During this long trek up hill I was breathing pretty hard and I could tell my heart rate was up.  I have to admit the possibility of DNF crossed my mind.  Once I reached the top I was still breathing heavy but resisted the temptation of walking.  I continued a slow steady jog.  It was beautiful at the top of this peak and there was a nice cool breeze.  I got my second wind and started my descent down the trail.

Trail running has a lot of mental mind checks.  I was right in the middle of one.  During miles four through six I did not see a lot of people on the trail.  I was by myself.  I questioned whether I was going the right way.  I kept seeing the blue flags so I was hoping I was on the correct path.  At this point I had not had any major trip ups or falls but as usual I tripped on level ground where there was a minimal amount of rugged terrain.  I scraped my knee a little bit and my palm but nothing major.

I was very happy to see the aid station around mile six to confirm I was on the right path.  I did see a few more runners at this point so that made me feel better.  I did get concerned as I made the turn away from the aid station that maybe I went the wrong way.  I really got concerned as my GPS watch read I had gone eight miles and the finish line was nowhere in sight.  When my watch read I had gone 8.5 miles I really got concerned.  At this point I figured if I am going the wrong way I will eventually see civilization again.

When my watch read 8.7 miles I could see in the clearing I was near the finish line.  I was very happy to cross the line.  I was a little sore and a little tired.  I had a great sense of satisfaction completing this race.  It made me feel like I was back on track with my training.  This race gave me a lot of motivation to continue increasing my training for future road and trail races.

Thank you to the Birmingham Track Club (www.birminghamtrackclub.com), Mountain High Outfitters (http://www.mountainhighoutfitters.com) and the Southeastern Trail Series (www.southeasterntrailruns.com) for putting on this race.  What a great experience this was.  I can't wait to put on my trail shoes and take another run through the woods!


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing the "8 miler". I ran that one too. As long as David Tosch's advertised mileage is within 10% of the actual mileage, he's OK with that. The next day (which I also ran), his 10.15 mile loop was 11.3 miles. As for the yellow/white connector, that's a 20% grade for much of it. You deserve a medal just for getting to the top.See you on the Trail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Al, thanks for the feedback and sharing your expertise on trail running. I enjoy reading your posts on "Running With Al". One day I hope to build up to some of the miles you are running!

    ReplyDelete