Monday, September 16, 2013

In Search of the Pretzel Bun

It seems like we have been inundated with restaurants touting hamburgers and hot dogs on pretzel buns.  I've seen enough commercials that I now have to have pretzel buns.  Wendy's, Sonic and Ruby Tuesdays all have commercials featuring pretzel buns.  They look REALLY good,

We have not been eating out very often so I figured surely someone local sells pretzel buns.   I  "Googled" pretzel buns and got nothing.  Last week I saw a post from Publix showing these yummy looking hamburgers.  The buns kind of looked like pretzel buns but they were not.  I commented on their Facebook page suggesting they should add pretzel buns to their bread assortment.  A few hours later I got a response back from them saying "but we already do have pretzel buns".  An angelic chorus of "ahhs" went off in my head.  Could it have been this easy that all I had to do was drive down to my local Publix and try this heavenly concept for a bun?  I emailed my wife the glorious news.  I rushed out at lunch to my nearest Publix to snag a bag of pretzel buns.  You could imagine the look on my face when I found out these do not exist at least at the Birmingham Publix stores.  I was heartbroken.  I called my wife to break the news and before I could tell her, she said Publix does not have pretzel buns.  She had also gone to her nearest Publix and found out the sad truth as well.

That night the family trekked over to Red Robin....(yum).  It just so happens they have a limited time only Oktoberfest burger on a pretzel bun!  The Oktoberfest burger was way too busy for me so I worked with the waiter to replace a regular Red Robin burger with the pretzel bun.  I am not sure if it was the pedestal I had put the pretzel bun on, this particular pretzel bun or the Red Robin Burger .  It was not what I had hoped it would be.  

This has not deterred me.  I am in search of trying other pretzel buns.  I might even try to make some of my own.  I welcome any suggestions on where I can find a good pretzel bun.  It has now become my mission.  

No comments:

Post a Comment