Monday, September 2, 2013

In the Midst of Volleyball Greatness

As you probably know this past weekend was the first weekend of college football.  I watched a few of the games that morning but none of them were that great.  Texas A&M was somewhat interesting but that was about it.  Saturday afternoon I took a break from football, coincidentally during the Alabama game (please forgive me) to attend a Samford University volleyball match with my oldest.

This particular match Samford played the University of Minnesota.  The University of Minnesota is a national power in volleyball and are currently ranked sixth in the country.  This was the first time my oldest and I have attended a volleyball match at Samford.  I was extremely impressed with their facilities and their program.  First off I expected them to charge admission but they did not.  In fact they don't charge admission to any of their home games.  We sat on the front row.  There's really not a bad seat in the house.




Samford played a good game but Minnesota beat them in three straight sets.  There's a reason why Minnesota is ranked so high.  They are a very powerful team.  There roster is mostly Freshman, Sophomores and Juniors.   They only have two Seniors.  This team plays very well together.  They do a great job communicating and are very athletic.  I predict this team will win a National Championship in the next three years. Minnesota's coach also coached the Women's US Olympic team in 2012.  He coached that team to the gold medal round where they lost to Brazil.





I really enjoyed watching both teams play.  I liked the way Samford kept on fighting against Minnesota and I commend them for taking on such a difficult team so early in the season.   This will only make them better as they get into conference play.  I read on Samford's website they were picked to win the Southern Conference.  They have some really good players on their team I think they will have a successful season. I would encourage everyone to attend a match.  It's great family entertainment at an awesome price!

Samford Volleyball 2013 Schedule

As a side note I have to say that Saturday night I did watch the Clemson vs. Georgia football game (great game by the way).  First off ACC!  ACC!  ACC!.  Second I did have my IPad  next to me watching the FSU. vs. LBSU vollebyall game via a feed that LBSU provided.  FSU. beat Long Beach State in five sets.  It was the first time that FSU has ever beaten LBSU.  It was a great match.  Something tells me that FSU and Minnesota might be playing each other in some post season tournament.


Good luck to FSU, Samford and Minnesota this season!

No comments:

Post a Comment