Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Slacking Update: Week One

I apologize again.  This post is mostly for my benefit.  Last week was a good week. I obtained my goal of working out four days.  I ran almost double the amount I ran for the previous week.  It was a good start back.  I did get some grief from the people I normally see at the gym.  They asked me where I had been.  For me, it's good to get feedback like that.  It motivates me.

Most of my gym workouts were pretty good last week except for Friday. I wanted to take a Spinning Class but it was already full at 5:30 in the morning.  Usually I have a backup plan but that morning I hedged all my bets on that I would be Spinning. I had to use the dreaded treadmill.  I tried one of the new treadmills the gym just put in.  It has a large screen where you can program what scenery you want to look at while you are running so you won't be reminded you are running in one place.  I chose the "Road to Oahu".  This was supposedly a scenic road from someplace in Hawaii to another place.  It was really nice scenery.  However, I realized there is no way I could ever run on this road.  It was a two lane narrow winding road with no shoulder. Any runner would not last a mile before getting sideswiped by a car or motor cycle. On top of that after 35 minutes the machine just reset on its own. So I never actually got to Oahu.  It was very disappointing.

I felt so good Saturday I decided to compete in my first college cross country track meet.  Well, not exactly.  I was at Veteran's Park Saturday morning when Samford University was hosting the University of Alabama Cross Country Team.  The course was not closed so I was running at the same time they were.  They finished the course in a lot quicker time than I did.  It was awesome watching them run.  I never really thought about attending a cross country meet but it looked like a lot of fun. The Samford Men beat Alabama and the Alabama Women beat Samford.

Their meet did inspire me to enter a race.  I have a few scheduled later in the year but decided to enter one for September.  It's an eight mile trail race I have never run before so I really don't have a benchmark to go by.  I plan to run for fun and I was planning to run that distance anyway.

All in all it was a good week.  I followed most of the goals I had set for myself.  Except I might have crossed the line on using food as a reward. I mostly blame myself but I also blame that Plain Chicken Lady (Plain Chicken ).  Last week she had to post a recipe for Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Brownie Muffins. Let me just say they were pretty darn good.  Here is what our version looked like and the link to the recipe she posted Peanut Butter Cup Brownie Muffins .




Oh well, I'll just add a few miles to next week's training schedule!



No comments:

Post a Comment