Thursday, August 15, 2013

Another Summer is in the Books

This weekend is the last unofficial weekend of the summer for my family.  School starts on Monday.  It's hard to believe I am now the father of a junior high and high school student.  How did this happen?

I still remember dropping my first born off to school for kindergarten on the first day.  The drill has changed over the years.  We used to walk our kids into class give them a hug before they start their first day.  They are too old for that now.  We will still do the traditional first day of school picture in front of our refrigerator.  I will still try to sneak hugs before they go on their way.  I will still think about them while I make my way to work. I will still have that same butterfly in the stomach feeling for them like I used to have when I went to school on the first day.  

This year seems different.  My oldest is four short years away from going to college. My youngest is only three short years away from high school.   I totally understand what they mean when it is said time goes by faster as you get older.

This weekend we will try to keep the pace a little slower than usual knowing that the weeks to follow will be crazy with homework, class projects, and other activities.  I am looking forward to what the school year has in store.  It's been a wild ride so far and there is no doubt in my mind it will be just as crazy this year.

So goodbye summer you were not around very long but we enjoyed the extra time you gave us to spend time together as a family.  

No comments:

Post a Comment