Thursday, August 22, 2013

THE Fall Sport is About Start!

Yes, it's about that time again.  THE Fall sport is about to start.  The athletes have been practicing getting ready for the season.  You know what sport I am talking about.   Volleyball season is starting!  I know, I know, that might not be the sport you were thinking I was talking about but in our household it's what we eat, sleep and breathe.  My oldest started playing volleyball a little over five years ago.  I was aware of the sport prior to her starting to play it.  I played it some in college on a intramural team.  I went to FSU and attended many of the women's team games.  Gabrielle Reece played for the Noles when I was at FSU.  The games were a lot of fun to attend. My wife and I even got to see volleyball played in the Olympics when the games were in Atlanta.  We have also been to some UAB games both indoor and sand.

I was really excited when my oldest wanted to give it a try.  However, Fourth grade volleyball was a little difficult to watch. If (that's a big if) you get the ball over the net you are pretty much assured of a point.  Fifth and Sixth grade was a little more competitive.  Most of the girls still served underhanded so they usually got the  ball over the net.  At this age the girls can actually get the ball back over the net to return the serve.   Some girls start serving over handed and if they can, the intimidation factor alone is worth a few points.  

Now we have moved onto High School volleyball.  I can already tell this is going to be more intense.  This summer was spent with "volunteer" workouts.  Practices involved a lot more running and even involved lifting weights with a conditioning coach.  I can see significant improvement in the volleyball play so far.

This year I am getting a little more involved as a parent and will be attempting the role of scorekeeper and libero tracker.  I initially thought how hard can this be?  I found out real quick at the hour plus long training class this was a big deal.  First they had a Power Point presentstion that had about fifty slides.  The guy going over the slides has been doing this for years and did not know how to teach newbies.  After the training class I knew this would require further research.  I found a website with a pretty good Power Point and have been studying it.  The first games are at the beginning of September.  Hopefully I will be ready.  

I am looking forward to the season. I can't wait to see my oldest play.  I look forward to watching the Noles volleyball team play on TV.  Hopefully, we will even catch a UAB game.  It should be a lot of fun.  And yes, I will be watching that other Fall sport with the brown ball.  


No comments:

Post a Comment