Sunday, August 4, 2013

Yes, I Watch the Disney Channel

Ok, I admit it.  I watch the Disney Channel.  It's not just because I have children that are age appropriate for the channel.  Yeah that's how it started.  Over the years I have found the entertainment value to be pretty good.  There are times I will be watching the shows on Disney Channel by myself.  My wife will walk in and see there are no kids around and ask me why are you watching that?  I try to defend it but I know that I don't have to try too hard because she watches the shows too.  

One good thing about the channel is there are not many things on their shows you have to awkwardly explain to your children, and that goes for the commercials also.  Too many times we are watching TV shows on other channels, including the big four networks, and a commercial or a promo for another TV show comes on that has questionable content.  I either have to quickly change the channel, mute the TV or have an awkward conversation on what we have just viewed.

The other day "My Cousin Vinnie" was on Comedy Central.  This is a funny movie but the uncut version is not appropriate for the age of my children.  For one of my children, I figured it was appropriate to watch the PG-L version Comedy Central was showing, and for the most part it was.  What I did not see coming was a really, really, really,inappropriate commercial.  I learned my lesson.  

Try watching a golf tournament or the national news.  There must be a lot of companies that assume their target market includes males with THAT problem (you know what problem I am talking about).  So that's were Disney Channel comes in.  Yes, most of the shows are corny but sometimes that's what I want.  They have shows on their channel the whole family can sit down and watch together.

For example, one of my favorite Disney shows is Good Luck Charlie.  The writing is pretty good.  The actors are very funny.  The plot lines are cleverly written.  The mother and father on the show are very identifiable and yet just enough over the top to make it funny.  The children are pretty good about making their parent's lives a little difficult.  Yes there are some hokey episodes but you overlook those when you get a gem like the episode when Shirley Jones shows up on the show as the Grandma of the children.

There was a recent episode of Shake it Up, another Disney Channel show, that mixed in a classic actress from a previous sitcom.  One of the characters on Shake It Up has a very over exaggerated Brooklyn accent. The characters name is Dina Garcia on the show.  She "tawks" like this.   On a recent episode they had a plot that involved her mom.  The mom was played by actress Maggie Wheeler.  That name may not sound very familiar.  She played Janice on Friends.  You know the character that Chandler would always get hooked up with.  The character on Shake It Up played by Ainsley Bailey is exactly the kind of daughter you would think Janice would have had.  

Yes,  I know Disney does not have the greatest track record for their actors.  Miley Cyrus, Demi Lovato, and Lindsey Lohan, to name a few, have had their fair share of problems.  But it's fun to catch these actors on Disney Channel while they are young and trying to make it big.  Some actually do, some crash and burn  and some just move onto another career.

No comments:

Post a Comment