Thursday, August 8, 2013

Trail Running

Trail running is good therapy for me.  I don't do it every week but about once a month I will either go out to Red Mountain Park or Oak Mountain Park and do a long run via the trails.  More often I will hit the trails at Veterans Park next to Spain Park.

I stumbled (pun intended) into trail running at the first organized run held at Red Mountain Park.  The Resolution Run organized by The Birmingham Track Club was held at the park that year.  On that balmy New Year's Eve Saturday morning I trekked through the new park at a slow pace realizing that I might be a little bit over my head.  That day they offered 2-3 running options.  I chose the longest option.  A ten mile run.   Why I chose this I do not know.  The trails were not marked very well at that time.  I made it through that day with minimal injuries.  It gave me a good impression of how different trail running is to road running.   

Later that year I made the decision to run a race that was strictly via trails.  I don't remember exactly what made me decide to do this but I decided to run the Xterra Half Marathon that was held out at Oak Mountain that year.  It was a warm day in May when the race was held.  It started up the Peavine Road hill on pavement but then we diverted to a trail and that was the last time I saw road for awhile.  I already knew before I ran this race that trail running is more physically demanding but little did I know what I was in for that day.

Trail races are vastly different than road races.  There are very few places along the course for people to cheer you on.  Most places along the trail you have to run single file.  You are constantly focused on the terrain changes.  Any slight miscalculation and you could end up with a twisted ankle, busted knee or something even worse.  I did pretty good during the race and had no major wipeouts.  But your worry is not just tripping.  You have to run single file so you have to be aware of the people in front of you.  I had a few near misses along the way with people falling in front of me.    I also distinctly remember the sound of hearing people wiping out on the trail behind me.  

I don't know if this is true for every trail race but this particular one had very few water stops.  I was not as prepared for this so I was soley dependent on what Xterra provided.  I made it through but bringing a water bottle would have been a good idea.  

Prior to finishing a marathon earlier this year, my first trail half marathon run was one of the most physically demanding races I have ever experienced.  My time was not the greatest but that did not matter to me.   I had such a sense of accomplishment when I finished.

Now that I am a little more confident in trail running I enjoy it more.  I still respect the concentration you need to have while running.  However now I can enjoy the scenery that trail running provides.  There are so many amazing places you can only get to via your feet.  The views you get to see while running at Oak Mountain Park and Red Mountain Park are amazing.  You also will occasionally see wildlife on your run.  I have mostly seen rabbits, deer and a few turkeys.  Luckily I have not seen any snakes yet!  

Even running at Veterans Park you get to run along side a creek and get to hear the relaxing sound of water.  Parts of Veteran's Park remind me of the Ewok planet scenes in Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi.  Which is pretty amazing to me that you can go from an asphalt mecca to these quiet secluded places in a matter of minutes.

I know there are other great places to trail run in Birmingham.  I really want to try Ruffner Mountain and Moss Rock Preserve.  I hope to run in these two places soon.  

I would strongly encourage giving trail running a try.  It's a nice addition to a running regimen!

No comments:

Post a Comment