Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Fizz is Gone

I have a major weakness with my love of carbonated drinks.  I love the taste and could drink them all day.  I have been drinking them a little more than usual lately.  I think this has been one of the factors that has impacted my running performance.  I am not a doctor and do not claim to have any medical knowledge of why this would be the reason.  I have read studies and seen blurbs on the news about why carbonated drinks are bad for you.  I have read that even diet drinks are not that good for you.  Something about the brain thinks its really sugar and it makes you more hungry.  Then I have also read that it slows down your metabolism.  These may or may not be true and I am sure there are plenty of other studies that say the opposite.

If you think about what it is in these drinks it is kind of concerning.  Especially the diet drinks.  All of the artificial sweeteners that have come out over the years start out promising but inevitably some study will come out saying it causes some medical condition.  Even the non diet drinks have corn syrup in them now instead of sugar and supposedly that's not so great for you either.

My opinion is that inevitably everything in excessive amounts is probably not good for you.  So drinking soda is probably OK for you if you drink them in moderation.  I just have a tough time with moderation when it comes to soda.  I think it has to be all or nothing for me.  I have gone cold turkey several times giving up soda.  Usually this occurs during Lent.  I have had success in doing this each time.  But when Lent is over I quickly jump back into my old habits.  

So I am going to try giving them up for awhile.  I will see if there are any noticeable differences over the upcoming weeks.  It's going to be a tough ride but I feel like it is worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment