Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Wow! I Should Have Stopped Here Sooner!

After watching the Bizarre Foods America episode about Birmingham I realized how many restaurants I drive by and make the decision not to eat there solely based on the location of the restaurant or the appearance.

Niki's West is a good example of this.  It's in an area of town I don't normally get to and the outside of the building has a circa 1950/60 look.  I know to go there based on growing up in Birmingham and their great food reputation. Otherwise I would never have stopped and eaten there.

Niki's West Web Site

Last weekend I went to The Bright Star in Bessemer.  Again it's not an area of town I normally frequent.  It's not easy to find.  However, the food is great.  The history of the restaurant and all of the pictures and mementos inside the building are an added bonus when you go to eat there.

Bright Star's Web Site

I am often around West Valley Avenue.  There are many restaurants on that road most I am sure people drive by and don't even give a second thought of stopping there.  I think about that when I go to Naji's Pita Gourmet.  I have eaten there for years. But the building is not that impressive on the outside.  On the inside there is a small place to eat and a small market.  The food is always good.  Naji's was one of the first places I ate a pita wrap at.  Their toasted pita chips are addicting. I have been known just to stop in and grab a bag of their freshly baked chips to eat.  
I don't know that I would always take a chance on a place based on what it does or does not look like.  I think that's the beauty of social media.  It gives a whole new meaning to "word of mouth".  















No comments:

Post a Comment