Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Did I Land in the Wrong City?

A few weeks ago I took a flight from North Carolina to Birmingham.   Since I flew out of North Carolina I had never been in the Birmingham Airport since it has been rebuilt.  It was a very surreal experience to deplane walk through the jetway and emerge into the new airport terminal.  If I did not know any better I would think I had landed in another city.  I did not have a lot of time to spend on my return trip but saw enough to know it is a very nice upgrade.

Later in the week I had a flight that departed from Birmingham.  This trip I got to spend a little more time in the airport.  The security check point was a little more manageable then before the remodel.  Inside the terminal it was nice to have all of the good eating places after you pass the security check point.  They had some nice places.  You know it's going to be a good start of the day when you see the familiar Chick Fil A logo.  This morning I did not go to Chick Fil A.  Their breakfast menu at the airport is limited to the biscuit side.  I have not been on a biscuit kick lately especially after experiencing the awesome biscuits at Biscuitville.  No offense to Chick Fil A but I am not a big fan of their biscuits.  This trip I went to a bagel place right next to Chick Fil A.  It's set up like a Subway.  You choose the bagel you want and then they ask you what you want on it.  I went with a regular toasted bagel with egg and sausage.  It was pretty good.  The bagel and ingredients on the bagel were all fresh.  

As I was eating I could see that most of the places in the terminal were busy and this was at 5:00 in the morning.  The new airport is a welcome change to what was there before.  I think the new terminal is a great first impression for people who have never been to Birmingham.  There are local flavors represented in the resaurants with Jim and Nicks and Good People Brewery.  There are the usual news stands with locally made and produced products.  There is art work in the airport that is locally made showcasing the city and its history.  I really enjoyed seeing the new airport the way I did. 



Note:  

I know the new terminal airport had a tragic start due to negligence that has yet to be determined.  I hope that it is determined who was responsible for this negligence and measures are put in so this will not happen again.




No comments:

Post a Comment