Sunday, August 18, 2013

Hello Paul

I think I started listening to the Paul Finebaum show in the late eighties early nineties.  I listened to his show mostly for the entertainment value.   I never took Paul Finebaum as an expert on sports. At least not with the mechanical and statistical side of sports.   Statistics, sports records, positions on a team are not his thing.  I think the only way Paul knows these things is by looking them up on the Internet.  

I did read his sports column when he wrote for The Birmingham Post Herald.  I enjoyed his column and the insight he had on the inner workings of college sports.  His radio show initially had a sidekick.  The sidekick was usually more knowledgeable about sports.  I specifically remember Bob Lochamy.  Bob knew the Birmingham sports scene very well.  However, Paul always did a good job of making Bob his straight man or fall guy.  Paul has always done a good job of generating controversy.  Paul's show really began to take off when the regular callers became a major part of the show.  The first caller I remember the most was "Don from Downtown". 

Over the years Paul lost his co host, changed stations a few times and moved toward a national audience when he was heard on XM radio.  Paul has also benefited on being in the right place at the right time with having the college sports world focused on Alabama the last few years with Alabama and Auburn winning the last four National Championships.   As the year have progressed my listening time for Paul had became very selective.  Some of his regular callers irritated me.  So when they came on I would switch to another station.  I am also not a huge Alabama or Auburn fan so many times I chose not to be a part of the "love fest".  I liked it better when both teams were down.  It made for more interesting radio.

When Paul's show was taken off the air I have to say it was a little odd not being able to listen to him over the last seven months.  Especially when major sporting events broke.  However I did find other stations to listen to and survived.   

Now Paul is back on the air.  I listened to him a few times and it appears he has picked up right where he left off.  The Alabama love fest continues.  The callers are as obnoxious as ever.  I will still listen to him occasionally.  Especially when the football season starts and when the next big controversy breaks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment