Sunday, July 28, 2013

An Open Letter to Trader Joe's Store Site Selection Committee

As I have stated many times before I am a huge fan of Trader Joe's.  My first trip to Trader Joe's was in Atlanta.  At the time I totally got why Atlanta has several Trader Joe's and Birmingham had zero.  My next visit to a Trader Joe's was in Nashville.  Again, I totally get why Nashville got a Trader Joe's before Birmingham.  The only other Trader Joe's I have been to was up in North Carolina in the
Raleigh area.  Again I can kind of understand why there is one there over Birmingham.

However I am losing my patience with Trader Joe's blowing off Birmingham for what I believe to be secondary markets.  

Recently Trader Joe's opened up in Knoxville TN and Greenville SC.  Now I know these are fine towns but what do they have that Birmingham does not have?

Now I learn that Tallahassee is getting a Trader Joe's in October.  Why?  I went there for four years as a student at FSU.  For many years after that I have gone back to attend FSU football games.  Tallahassee is a beautiful city but it is no Birmingham.  They don't even have a minor league baseball team.  

Baton Rouge is also on the list to get a store.  Again I am scratching my head.  

Hey Trader Joe's guys....see this picture?  


These are my purchases from one trip at a Trader Joe's.  There's more where that came from.

I am getting close to walking away from all of this. Birmingham has a Whole Foods, a Fresh Market (another one is opening up where a Trader Joe's could have been) and we have an Earth Fare.  I am not a huge fan of any of these places but I am ready to switch my loyalty to them.  They might not have everything Trader Joe's has but at least they have made a commitment to 
Birmingham. 

If you have not been to Birmingham come visit us.  How about it Trader Joe's?

1 comment: