Wednesday, July 17, 2013

I Like the Group Exercise


A few posts ago I wrote about my apprehension with group running.  Well that is still a tough sell for me but I have to say I really like the group exercise classes at my local gym.  These have always been a regular part of my exercise routine.  I need the atmosphere these classes provide to help keep me on track with my exercise goals.

Several years ago I got up the nerve to walk into my first group exercise class.  I had been walking by the group exercise room for several years.  It looked intimidating but everyone looked like they were working hard and having a good time.  Plus I liked a lot of the music they played.  The instructor could tell I was new and took the time to help me set up my weights and get ready for the class.  During the class she made an extra effort to highlight what the goal of each exercise was and focused on the correct form so I did not hurt myself.  I know that I did not do the exercises perfect but she gave me enough confidence to attend the class again.

To me the atmosphere of the group exercise class starts with the class instructor.  I find a good class instructor knows the capabilities of their class and pushes them to work hard.  That's a tough job since there are varying levels of capabilities in every class.  I like a class instructor that you can tell is genuine in their concern to make sure that you are getting the most of what the class has to offer.  

As I have mentioned earlier I am an early morning workout person.    These classes have been very important in keeping me motivated to wake up and make it to the gym.  You are motivated to be there because of the camaraderie that is developed with the instructor and the other participants.  You know that if you miss, the next time you are at the gym you will have some "splaining" to do as Ricky always said to Lucy.  I like that type of pressure.  

I know group exercise classes might not be for everyone.  However, if you have never tried one I would suggest giving it a try. They are not as intimidating as they look.  







No comments:

Post a Comment