Tuesday, July 16, 2013

To Run WIth Music or Not to Run With Music...


Does part of your running routine include music?  When I first started running, music was a staple of my workout routine.  I could not imagine running without music.  I even choreographed my races.  I would set up the songs to have a few mellow songs prior to the start of the race.  Then I would have a real uplifting song for the start.  During the middle of the race when I knew it would be difficult there would always be a very hardcore song to get me over the hump.  I would always try to make the last song before the finish line one of my favorite running songs.  Any race in November/December always included Christmas music.  "Must be Santa" by Bob Dylan is my favorite Christmas song to run to. If you have never heard this song or watched the video you should.   

Here is a link to the video on You Tube.  Take a "Christmas in July" break and watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8qE6WQmNus

As I have talked with other runners I found there are strong opinions on whether music should or should not be included when running.  I know there is a safety issue.  In fact, some races do not let you have music at all and will disqualify you if they see you are running with a mp3 player.  Some people can't run without music.  Some people find it distracting.

I have changed  my tune (sorry I had to go there) about this when I was training for my first marathon.  At some point for me the music becomes a demotivator.  The ear buds start hurting my ears the songs become monotonous.  I always bring my music to a race but the last few times I have waffled on whether I listened or not.  The last race I ran, I totally committed to no music and did not even bring my iPod.  I lived without the music and did pretty good in the race. 

I don't think music will ever be completely cut out of my running regimen but it will be cut back.  Some days I just like to hear the sounds of running.  Your feet hitting the pavement, the sounds of nature when you are on a trail run and the crazy conversations people are having on their cell phones as you run by them.

I use music now when I need that extra distraction to take my mind off of running on the days I don't really feel like running.  And yes the Christmas songs will still be played during November and December!

No comments:

Post a Comment