Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Stickers


I have never been much of a bumper sticker kind of guy.  Back in my college days I was known to have a few stickers on my car.  The car I had back in college was equipped with chrome bumpers, remember them?    With a chrome bumper there was never a full commitment to the bumper sticker.  You could eventually peel them off and not have to worry that you were taking part of the car’s paint with the sticker.  Most of my cars after the Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme have had plastic bumpers.  Since then I have resisted the commitment of putting a bumper sticker on my car.  I did feel compelled to put a window American flag on the side of my passenger window in honor of the tragic events of September 2001.  I am not sure it counts though.  It’s one of those vinyl stickers that can easily peel off.  I have actually transferred that sticker from the first car I put it on to the one I am driving now.   


Recently I made the commitment to put two stickers on my car.  I put a lot of thought into these but knew it was the right thing to do.  I have a small oval “13.1” sticker on the left side of my back window and a “26.2” on the right. Yes, I have entered the fraternity of the small oval window sticker people.  First off I am pretty proud of running a full marathon.  It was a lot of hard work.  I was pretty happy to put this sticker on my car.   For those of you that are “oval sticker challenged", “13.1” stands for the miles it takes to finish a half marathon, "26.2” stands for the number of miles that it takes to finish a full marathon.  I just assume everybody knows that is what “13.1” and “26.2” stand for.  Then I started thinking how many stickers are out there I have no idea what they mean but the driver that put that sticker on their car probably assumes we should all know the meaning. 


Here are a few that I have had questions about and what their meanings are:

OBX:  Outer Banks of North Carolina


MYL:  Made You Look (clever)


0.0:  Non Runner


IRE:  Ireland/Irish


3OA:  I had to “Google” this one.  This is an area on the pan handle in Florida.  It’s being branded as a way of life.  It’s named for the road in Florida.  They even have 3OA beer!


212*:  This is apparently a motivational program. The website is www.givemore.com.  It took me awhile to find that one.


WSP:  Weird Stinky People (I’m not kidding)


RDNK:  Red Neck


OVAL:  Oval..get it the decals an oval


ATF: Addicted Twilight Fan

I know this is not an oval sticker but you see alot of these.  At first I thought this one was somebody dancing or running because their hair was on fire.





Then I realized it was the profile of a deer’s head signifying they are deer hunters. ..duh!



I am very disappointed there is not a WIKI page on helping to decipher these oval sticker mysteries.  Can somebody get on this?
Resources on most of these stickers came from Café Press. 
Check them out at www.cafepress.com
Figuring out what the meanings of these oval stickers was a lot of fun. 

Here are a few others I found. 

9 X 19
WSM
RTR
302
BMET
K1P2
FTB
Nick
140.6
K-T



For some extra July 4th holiday fun try to guess what their meanings are.



I will be Tweeting the answers over the weekend.  So if you want the answers to these follow me @RMSquatch
Perhaps this is the start of another car game, hmmmm.

1 comment: