Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pet Peeves: Do Not Call

The Do Not Call Listing Program was a great idea when it was first implemented in 2003.  I was one of the first people to sign up for this.  There is nothing I dislike more than someone calling me and trying to sell me something I don't want.  I understand they are trying to make a living.  In my opinion there are better ways to find customers than calling somebody you don't know at a time that more than likely is not convenient for them with the slight chance they are interested in the product or service you are trying to sell.  I can tell you when I get phone calls at 7:00 pm after I have worked all day long the odds that I am going to listen or even be remotely interested in what you are selling is very low.

The first few years I was part of this program it seemed to be very effective.  The cold calls for the most part went away.  Lately this has not been the case.  The calls comes several times a day.  Most of the time these are recordings with unidentifiable names on the Caller I.D.  Sometimes I don't bother to pick up the phone.  If they catch me at the right time I will pick up the phone just so I can ask them why are they calling someone on the Do Not Call List.  Most of the time they usually just hang up.  Sometimes they do apologize and say they will not call again. They call again the next day anyway.  I have attempted to report some of these numbers on the www.donotcall.gov website but that does not seem to stop them either.  

If you really want to get frustrated think about how much time of your life is spent filtering phone calls from telemarketers, answering phone calls from telemarketers, deleting junk emails and ripping up junk mail.  How about the important phone call or emails you miss due to all the other noise?

I'm all for free enterprise and the opportunity to make a living.  I just think there has to be a better way than sending out millions of emails or calling thousands of people hoping that you will reach some of the people that might want to use your product or service.   

No comments:

Post a Comment