Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Y'all Ready for Some New Radio Stations?


The Birmingham radio market has had a few changes in the last few weeks. We lost two Sports Talk stations and picked up two music stations. 

The first station made an interesting move converting to what was once a solely Internet based station to a station that simulcast on both the Internet and the radio. That station is called Birmingham Mountain Radio (107.3). I don't know a lot about this station. I never listened to it when it was just on the Internet. I have listened to it a few times since they started up. A good part of their music comes from emerging bands that do not get a lot of play on Top 40 radio. 

The second station moved to a mixed music format. They call it Y'all radio (97.3). So far i have heard songs from the 50's through today. The concept is described as your "iPod on shuffle mode".
They don't have announcers except for a very southern lady that gives the station I.D. and makes comments about being as "country" as she can be. 

I have to say I was a little skeptical when I heard about the format of this station. Since it was already on my radio as a preset I decided to give it a try. Initially I was pleasantly surprised. I heard some songs I had not hear in awhile. Plus it was nice hearing some of the current songs that are being played added to the mix.

The one major issue I have with the station so far is apparently THEIR IPod does not have a lot of songs on it. I am used to the current songs being played into the ground. Y'all seems to think I want to hear "I Love to Love You Baby" and "Seasons in the Sun" ....a lot! I have not heard these two songs in decades but since Y'all has signed on its been at least three times....ugh! Y'all need to be paying some money to get a larger music library!

For now I will keep both stations on my radio presets. They are on FM2. Which means they are on the same group with the talk radio stations. This means I won't get to these stations very often. I reserve FM1 for the stations I listen to more. Right now it's very unlikely Y'all will make FM1. I do think that Birmingham Mountain Radio has a shot. However even FM1 on my car radio does not get a lot of my time as I have XM radio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment