Thursday, July 18, 2013

Confession: I Don't Own a Smartphone!


Yes, I'm THAT guy.  I still don't own a smartphone.  I always feel like the biggest technological Neanderthal especially when I am traveling through an airport.  This past week I traveled through a few airports and it looked like every person had a smartphone attached to their hand checking emails,  Facebook, Twitter and probably putting final touches on their next blog post.

It's not that I would not want a smartphone it's just there are other budgetary priorities that prevent me from owning one.  I see the benefits of having one.  I know that I would use one. 

Although I feel like I am missing out not having a smartphone I am often reminded on why a smartphone should be used in moderation.  This past weekend I attended a youth sporting event.  I can't tell you how many parents had their heads buried in their smartphones instead of watching their kids playing.  At restaurants, I see couples and families sitting at tables using their smartphones instead of communicating with each other.  I even see a rise in people checking their smartphones before and during church.  At the gym people are using their smartphones while they are on the weight machines, treadmills and even while they are running on the track.  Now I know some of these people have legitimate reasons for using their smartphones during these times.  However, most of the time I see them using their phones to check Facebook and Twitter. 

I  recently saw an article on a website called Hella Wella.  Kent State University did a study on students who had high cell phone usage.  It found that students with high cell phone usage  (14 hours or higher) were less fit than those who had lower cell phone usage (90 minutes or less). Here is the link to the article and the study conducted.




My first thought after reading this article was that there are a lot of sedentary things you could do for 14 hours that would cause you to be less fit than someone who does the same thing for only 90 minutes.  But, what amazes me is they found enough people to do this study that actual do spend 14 hours a day on a cell phone.   Most studies I have seen show the average time spent on a cell phone each day is 90 minutes.  However, I also saw a study that said people check their phone 150 times a day!  

One day I know that my situation will change and a smartphone will be a part of my life.  And, I know there will be times that I will catch myself using it just to kill time.  I just hope that I will catch my self doing this and put the smartphone aside to enjoy what's going on around me.  But, I guess that's the good thing about writing a blog.  I have a digital commitment to always remind me of my promise.



No comments:

Post a Comment