Monday, July 8, 2013

#ILOVETHEHASHTAG

When I first heard about Twitter a few years ago, I wondered why would I possibly want to "follow" someone to find out what they were doing or thinking?  I see the value now.  I like the information aspect and yes the mindless stuff too.   Yes, I follow @realgrumpycat, @crumpycat (a knock off parody).  I even follow @StuffGuineaDoes.  But I also follow @ap, @cnnbrk and @FoxNews. Weather tweets are huge for me.  I especially follow @spann.  He not only covers weather for Birmingham but he warns you about traffic issues in the area.

Of all the media tools out there I have to say Twitter is my favorite.  I do not "tweet" a lot nor do I have a lot of followers but I follow a lot of people, businesses and organizations.  I like the fact that you only get 140 characters to get your point across.  The immediacy of Twitter is also something that I believe is very valuable.  This was very evident this past weekend when the plane crashed in San Francisco.  I was on my computer viewing Twitter when the data stream of information started.  Even seeing actual "tweets" from the passengers.  Of course there is a lot of junk out on Twitter.  Some careers have been ruined due to people "tweeting" inappropriate or controversial statements.

One fun feature of Twitter I have recently discovered is the hash tag.  I discovered this while watching "Paul Blart: Mall Cop".  I saw the hashtag on the TV while the movie was on.  It was like being in a movie theater where you were allowed to make comments out loud.  Obviously the only people who were making comments about this wanted to watch this movie.  They made comments about funny lines during the movie.  It really enhanced the experience of what I deem a "guilty pleasure".  I did not realize that others shared the same enthusiasm for this movie that I do. I can't wait for the next showing of "The Three Amigos"!  A few weekends ago I stumbled on the spectacle of Nik Wallenda crossing the Grand Canyon.  I missed the couple of hours hyping the event and turned it on right before he started his walk.  The comments on Twitter were priceless.  Some of them funny, some insightful some in poor taste.  

I know that I will never be a trend setter on Twitter.  I have less than ten people following me. That's ok with me.  That's the beauty of Twitter.  You can get just as much out of it by being a follower.





No comments:

Post a Comment